St Michaels House
Ailesbury Road, Dublin
Refurbishment of a protected structure
The project consisted of repair and reinstatement works to a substantial listed m id 18th Century house on Ailesbury Road for a private client. Originally constructed circa 1780 as a private dwelling house, commencing the development of the newly laid out Ailesbury Road the building was later occupied by the Jacobs family and subsequently passed to the Holy Ghost Fathers, who established St Michaels school on the grounds in 1932.
The client brief was to provide conservation and architectural consultancy services in connect ion with urgently required repairs to the belvedere tower and adjacent roofs, as well as a general upgrade of facilities and services to suit a revised proposed usage as Halls of Residence for the exchange programme of USA based Du Quesne University.
Particular issues involved forming new routes, lifts and compartment walls, finding routes for services including fire alarm, emergency lighting etc. which would have a minimal and reversible impact on the listed interiors including mahogany panelled and stuccoed rooms of exceptional quality.
Client Congregation of Holy Spirit
Value > € 1 M
Scale 1200 Sq. m.